This post may contain affiliate links at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click to view our full disclosure.
Today, we’re comparing two of the most popular green powder supplements: Beyond Greens and Athletic Greens.
Both seem like good options, but analyzing each one takes time that you don’t have. After all, one of the biggest benefits of super greens powder is that it’s convenient for busy people.
Don’t worry! As a Registered Dietitian, it is my role to guide people into taking the right supplement based on their goals.
At A Glance
Beyond Greens is a good option. It has a clear label, letting you see its true ingredients. It also has powerful antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation. But, one of its drawbacks is that it doesn’t have any greens.
For that reason, Athletic Greens might be a better option. It has different vegetables, fruits, adaptogens, herbs, spices, and probiotics to help improve overall health.
Now, while I might recommend one over the other, remember there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to nutrition. So, always make sure to choose the one that fits your goals, or consult with a health professional.
Keep reading to learn all about Beyond Greens vs. Athletic Greens.
Quick Facts: Face To Face Comparison
|Beyond Greens||Athletic Greens|
|Major Health Claims||A healthy immune system|
Harmonious gut health
|Promotes Gut Health|
|Dietary Preferences||Gluten-Free, Shellfish-Free, Preservative-Free, & Soy-Free Vegan Blend||Dairy-free, Wheat-free, Gluten-free, Corn-free, Lactose-free, Sucrose-free, Egg-free, Peanut-free, and Vegan|
|Probiotic Count||300 Million CFU||7.2 Billion CFU|
|Calories per Serving||Not listed||50 Calories per scoop|
|Macronutrient Count per serving||Not listed||6g Carbohydrate, 2g Protein, No fat listed|
|Net Carbs Per Serving||Not listed||4g|
|Serving Recommendations||Stir one scoop (3.8g) with 8 – 12 fl oz of your favorite drink once daily.||Take one scoop (12g) per day with 8-10 ounces of water first thing in the morning.|
|Price Per Serving||$1.33||$3.30 – $3.63|
|Certifications||Manufactured in a Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) facility||NSF Certified for Sport|
Third-party tested by NSF
Manufactured in a TGA-registered, NSF (GMP) registered facilities
Beyond Greens vs. Athletic Greens: Introduction
Green powder supplements are typically a mix of vegetables in powdered form. Besides vegetables, you can also find fruits, herbs, spices, adaptogens, nootropics, and probiotics to increase the benefits of the supplement.
Before we talk about the features and ingredients of each product, we are going to talk a little more about each supplement and the brand behind them.
What is Beyond Greens?
Beyond Greens is a green powder supplement from the Live Conscious company.
It contains 14 ingredients to help improve overall wellness, enhance the immune system, and reduce inflammation.
What is Athletic Greens?
Athletic Greens, also know as AG1 is a very popular greens powder. There are 75 ingredients in Athletic Greens. You can find different vegetables, fruits, herbs, spices, adaptogens, and probiotics to help improve wellness.
Beyond Greens vs. Athletic Greens: Standout Features
So far, Beyond Greens and Athletic Greens seem two perfectly good options. But, what makes each supplement stand out?
- Contains no greens to avoid allergens
- Gluten-Free, Shellfish-Free, Preservative-Free, & Soy-Free Vegan Blend
- Preservative Free
- Manufactured in a Good Manufacturing Practice(GMP) facility
- No Artificial Ingredients
- Vegan, wheat, gluten, corn, egg, peanut, sucrose, soy, and dairy-free
- NSF Certified for Sport
- Manufactured in a TGA-registered, NSF (GMP) registered facilities
- 75 different nutrients
- Marketed as paleo and keto-friendly
- Option to buy travel-sized packets
Product 1: Beyond Greens Overview
One of the biggest benefits of Beyond Greens is its fully transparent formula. It is one of the few supplements that tells you what ingredients you get and at what doses. This makes it easier to determine if the company’s claims are backed up by science.
Remember that everyone can respond differently to almost any supplement. But overall, taking Beyond Greens might provide the following benefits:
- May reduce inflammation. Chronic inflammation can lead to poor immunity, problems with digestion, joint pain, and trouble losing weight. Beyond Greens has antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation, decreasing all the symptoms mentioned above.
- Can make the immune system stronger. Beyond Greens contains Immune-Supporting Probiotics & Echinacea, which seems to support the immune system. It also has powerful antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation. In turn, it can help enhance your immune system.
- Might improve immune health. Beyind Greens is high in antioxidants. Antioxidants are compounds that protect our cells from toxins. By protecting our cells, antioxidants are helping us ward off illness and chronic disease.
- May improve gut health. Prebiotics in Beyond Greens, including Fructo- And Xylo-Oligosaccharides, are high fiber compounds that promote good bacteria in our guts. Lactospore (Bacillus Coagulans) is a probiotic that also contributes to a balanaced gut microbiome.
- Can help detoxify the body. Milk thistle in this product has been shown to be beneficial for liver health, which could provide beneficial detoxifying effects.
- May enhance energy and performance. Research shows Rhodiola root in Beyond Greens may improve exercise performance, help you relax, improve mood, and reduce fatigue.
- Has a fully transparent label.
- Dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and shellfish-free.
- Vegan and keto-friendly.
- Uses non-GMO ingredients.
- Offers a 365 money-back guarantee (but only on unopened products).
- Lower priced supplement.
- Only one flavor available (matcha).
- Some ingredients might be underdosed.
- Doesn’t have any vegetables.
- No third-party testing.
- Some people don’t like the flavor.
Product 2: Athletic Greens Overview
Athletic Greens (AG1) is a green powder supplement created in 2009. It has undergone several changes to help perfect the formula into what you can purchase today.
It is one of the most well-known formulas, backed by several health and sports spokesmen such as Dr. Andrew Huberman.
There are 75 ingredients in Athletic Greens. You can find different vegetables, fruits, herbs, spices, adaptogens, and probiotics to help improve wellness.
One of the drawbacks of Athletic Greens is that it uses proprietary blends. This means it doesn’t state how much of each ingredient is in it. This makes it more challenging to confirm they use clinically-approved doses.
Thanks to its wide range of ingredients, there are several benefits you might obtain from taking this green powder supplement.
Eliminating stress is not possible. And, up to a certain point, the body needs some stress to grow.
However, it is possible to learn how to cope with stress.
- Has 75 nourishing ingredients. The 75 ingredients in Athletic Greens can help add variety to your diet and give you all the nutrients you need to stay healthy even if you don’t have enough time to buy and prepare all of the produce such a diet requires
- May Improve Recovery. Recovery is as important as the training we do. Without good recovery, your muscles might not grow, or your body might start to ache. Athletic Greens has powerful antioxidants that may help improve recovery. AG1 is also NSF Certified for Sport, meaning it has been proven to help with post-workout recovery for endurance runners.
- Can help reduce stress and inflammation. Adaptogens can help reduce the impact of stress, improving your mood and discouraging stress behaviors such as emotional eating. Athletic Greens contains two powerful adaptogens (Rhodiola and ashwagandha), that can help reduce stress levels.
- Might improve the immune system. Vitamins, minerals, and immune-supporting mushrooms offer antioxidants to protect us from illness and ward off toxins in our bodies to keep us healthy.
- May improve gut health and digestion. There are 7.2 billion probiotics in Athletic Greens that support a balanced gut microbiome. Plus, natural enzymes in AG1 support better nutrient absorption and ease the digestive process.
- Can improve energy. The rhodiola, magnesium, and B vitamins in Athletic Greens may improve and sustain energy by helping to reduce stress and improve sleep in healthy individuals.
- Has some organic ingredients.
- NSF-certified for Sports.
- Uses non-GMO ingredients.
- Keto, gluten, and vegan-friendly.
- Third-party testing.
- Offers a 60-day money back guarantee.
- Has travel-size packets.
- Only one flavor is available (pineapple).
- Uses proprietary blends.
- Some ingredients are underdosed.
- Higher-priced supplement.
Beyond Greens vs. Athletic Greens: Ingredients Breakdown
There is a big difference between the ingredients in Beyond Greens and Athletic Greens.
The first difference comes in the number of ingredients each brand uses. Athletic Greens has 75 ingredients, while Beyond Greens has 14 ingredients.
This means that Athletic Greens has almost five times the ingredients of Beyond Greens.
Another big difference is the use of greens. Athletic Greens has several greens to boost nutrient content. Beyond Greens has no greens.
Let’s analyze each brand’s ingredients to determine its benefits.
Beyond Greens has 14 different herbs, spices, prebiotics, probiotics, and mushrooms.
One thing that some people find misleading is that it doesn’t contain any greens but it’s called Beyond Greens. However, the brand is indeed going beyond your usual greens.
While this isn’t the right supplement for increasing your vegetable intake, the ingredients can still be useful.
Also, I really like the fact that Beyond Greens has a clear label. This means we can fully analyze the ingredients they use and check if they come in the correct doses.
The following table has all the ingredients in Beyond Greens with their doses. On top of that, it determines the clinically recommended dosage for each ingredient and whether or not it is underdosed.
|Ingredient||Dose in Beyond Greens (mg)||Recommended dosage (mg)||Is it underdosed?|
|B. coagulans||300 M CFU||1 billion CFU||Yes|
Several ingredients in this product are underdosed. No matter if they have the best ingredients, if they don’t come in clinically proven doses, they might not provide the desired effects.
Still, there are some good ingredients that can help provide health benefits. Echinacea can help improve the immune system, milk thistle can help improve liver function, and Rhodiola can help reduce stress.
List of Ingredients
- Rhodiola root, 50mg
- Matcha leaf, 200mg
- Reishi, 25mg
- Cordyceps, 25mg
- Turkey Tail, 25mg
- Lion’s mane, 25mg
- Chlorella, 500mg
- Echinacea, 900mg
- Milk thistle, 200mg
- B. coagulans, 3 Million CFU
- FOS, 190mg
- XOS, 20mg
- Tahl gum, 190mg
- Ceylon cinnamon, 314mg
Athletic greens has 75 ingredients divided into four main blends.
It has several antioxidants that might help reduce inflammation, decrease the risk of chronic illness, and enhance the immune system.
Most of the ingredients in Athletic Greens come from organic sources, meaning they are of the highest quality. Additionally, they follow the minimum of probiotics (1 billion CFU), unlike Beyond Greens.
However, one of the issues of Athletic Greens is its proprietary blends, making it more challenging to determine if they come in the correct doses.
And, it seems likely some ingredients might be underdosed since having 75 ingredients in a 12-gram scoop might be difficult.
Analyzing some ingredients, it seems likely that some ingredients have lower doses.
For example, reishi mushrooms have a recommended dosage of 1,400 to 5,200 mg. However, they are found in a blend with other ingredients that have a total weight of 154 mg. So, it’s pretty likely that they are underdosed.
As for the other ingredients, they are harder to analyze since they are found in bigger blends. Hopefully, Athletic Greens will clarify its ingredients and doses.
List of Ingredients
- Alkaline, Nutrient-Dense Raw Superfood Complex, 7,388 mg
- Spirulina, lecithin, apple powder, inulin, wheat grass juice powder, alfalfa, chlorella, barley leaf, broccoli flower, papaya, pineapple, bilberry fruit extract, grape seed extract, green tea leaf extract, licorice root, lycium berry extract, ginger rhizome, slippery elm, kelp
- Nutrient-Dense Extracts, Herbs, and Antioxidants, 2,732 mg
- Alkaline pea protein isolate, citrus bioflavonoids extract, artichoke leaf extract, citric acid, rhodiola root, eleuthero root, milk thistle seed, R, S alpha-lipoic acid, ashwagandha, dandelion, hawthorn berry, beta-glucans, policosanol, coenzyme Q-10, stevia, vitamin K2
- Digestive Enzyme and Super Mushroom Complex, 154 mg
- Astragalus root, bromelain, burdock root, reishi mushroom, shitake mushroom
- Probiotics 7.2 billion CFUs, 38 mg
- Lactobacillus acidophilus UALz-01, Bifidobacterium bifidum UABb-10
- 21 Vitamins and Minerals
- Vitamin A: 555mcg, 62% DV
- Vitamin C: 420mg, 467% DV
- Vitamin E: 83mg, 553% DV
- Thiamin: 3mg, 250% DV
- Riboflavin: 2mg, 154% DV
- Niacin: 20mg NE, 125% DV
- Vitamin B6: 3mg, 176% DV
- Folate: 680mc DFE, 170% DV
- Vitamin B12: 22mcg, 917% DV
- Biotin: 22mcg, 1110% DV
- Pantothenic acid: 4mg, 80% DV
- Calcium: 118mg, 9% DV
- Phosphorus: 130mg, 10% DV
- Magnesium: 26mg, 6% DV
- Zinc: 15mg, 136% DV
- Selenium: 20mcg, 36% DV
- Copper: 195 mcg, 22% DV
- Manganese: 400mcg, 17% DV
- Chromium: 25 mcg, 71% DV
- Sodium: 45mg, 2% DV
- Potassium: 300mg, 6% DV
Beyond Greens vs. Athletic Greens: Taste Test
Many people hate the taste of green powder supplements. That’s why companies try to mask the taste by adding sweeteners and flavoring.
Since taste is subjective, reading customer reviews can give us a better understanding of whether people enjoy or not the supplement.
Beyond Greens Taste
Overall, it seems that Beyond Greens tastes good to many.
However, some people seem to find it too sweet, with an earthy taste and a gritty texture.
“It’s not the best tasting compared to other brands. It does give me energy and helps my skin stay clear. Only bad part was it was impossible to open – I literally had to get a knife to take it off.” – Fion
“It tastes pretty good! First thing I do is take it every morning with a glass of water before having anything else. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, so finding something to support my health was hard until I came across Beyond Greens, and am now giving it a go.
I was about to purchase AG1 but the price point is way too high. This is definitely more reasonable.” – Katherine
Athletic Greens Taste
It seems that more people like the taste of Athletic Greens than Beyond Greens. Additionally, it has a smoother texture.
If you are still not a fan of green powder supplements, you can add some lemon and fruit, or mix it with coconut water.
“A few years ago, I bought Athletic greens every month. Of all the green powders I’ve tried (ok, a handful), it’s the best-tasting one. By a long shot. I don’t feel like I am eating pureed leaves when drinking Athletic Greens. And, at least anecdotally, it makes me feel much better. Even if it was purely a placebo effect, it would be worth it.” – John
“I am always a bit skeptical of products like this at first, but I am also interested in helping my body get the nutrients it needs even if my nutrition can’t always be dialed in as well as I would like it to be. I have tried multiple types of “green” powder supplements and this one tastes the best by far. It is a great addition to smoothies as well.
The price is a bit high, but for the nutrient density I get, I am not taking a multivitamin so I feel it balances out for the most part. I travel for work and taking the travel packets in the morning every day (along with some other supplements) has kept me healthy on the road – no illnesses, able to keep my energy up!” – Michelle
Beyond Greens vs. Athletic Greens: Pricing Comparison
There is a massive price difference between Beyond Greens and Athletic Greens.
- For a one time purchase, it costs $36.99 per container of 30 servings
- You can opt for the subscription and get one container per month for $31.99
- You can add even more containers per month for more of a discount
- Price Per Serving
- Container Size
- 115g or 4 oz per container
- It costs $99 USD for a one-time buy of one container, or 30 servings of Athletic Greens
- If you want to buy single-serving travel packets, it will cost $109 for a one-time purchase of 30 packets
- You can opt for a monthly subscription of Athletic Greens, which will cost $79 per container or $89 for 30-travel packs per month
- Price Per Serving
- $3.30 per serving
- $3.63 per travel pack
- Container Size
- 12.7 oz per container
- 12g per single-serving travel pack
So, why such a big difference in price?
Athletic Greens, while more expensive, has three times the serving size than Beyond Greens. This means you are getting more product. It makes sense, since Athletic Greens has almost five times the number of ingredients than Beyond Greens.
Also, Athletic Greens offers a 60-day money-back guarantee (for products that are opened), it has third-party testing, and is NSF-Certified for Sports.
Comparison Of Side Effects and Safety
Green powder supplements are typically safe and well-tolerated.
However, there might be times when it can create side effects, mainly digestive problems. A green powder supplement might increase the risk of bloating, gas, diarrhea, and stomach cramps.
In addition, there might be ingredients in the supplement that can cause interaction with some medications. If you suffer from a chronic illness or are taking medication, talk with a health professional before adding a new supplement.
Beyond Greens vs. Athletic Greens: Which Is The Best Option?
Now that we know everything about these two green superfood powders, which is the best option, Athletic Greens or Beyond Greens?
I believe that Athletic Greens is the best option because it has five times the ingredients than Beyond Greens. Additionally, there’s a larger serving size, meaning you get more product.
Another reason I like the brand is that it contains the recommended dosage for probiotics, while Beyond Greens are below the clinically recommended intake. Beyond Greens might have a clear label, but most of its ingredients are underdosed.
Also, keep in mind that Beyond Greens doesn’t have any greens. While this might benefit some people, Beyond Greens is not the way to increase your fruits and vegetables. Athletic Greens offers a wide variety of fruits and vegetables.
Finally, Athletic Greens also has more certifications, guaranteeing the safety and effectiveness of the product. It’s third-party tested and it is NSF-Certified for Sports.
Why We Think Athletic Greens Is the Better Option
After comparing both products, Athletic Greens is the clear winner when it comes to choosing the best greens powder of the two.
If you want to add variety to your diet with different nutrients, reduce inflammation, improve recovery, and decrease digestive issues, Athletic Greens may help you achieve this.
Additionally, I love that they break down the micronutrient intake for the supplement, something most brands don’t do. And, checking out the doses, Athletic Greens provides more than 100% of the daily recommended value in many cases.
So, while a green superfood powder won’t replace fresh fruits and vegetables, at least you know that one scoop is giving you enough nutrients to cover the basics.
If you want to reduce inflammation, improve recovery, decrease stress, and improve digestion, Athletic Greens is the more solid option. If you are ready to make the first step, click here to purchase your first order of Athletic Greens.
Final Thoughts On Beyond Greens vs. Athletic Greens
We’ve concluded the comparison between Beyond Greens and Athletic Greens.
Both are popular green powder supplements people consider when thinking about purchasing a supplement.
However, after a thorough analysis, there is one clear winner.
While Athletic Greens is more expensive, know that you are getting a high-quality formula with 75 ingredients, recognized certifications, and several essential vitamins and minerals to help improve health.
Now, that doesn’t mean that Beyond Greens is a bad option. Remember that everyone has different needs and goals. This might be a better option if you don’t want to invest too much in a supplement, or if you are trying to stay away from green powders or grasses.
If you want to purchase the green powder supplement I recommend, which is Athletic Greens, click here to make a purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Beyond Greens or Athletic Greens better?
Athletic Greens has more ingredients, a larger serving size, and more certifications to back up their claims, so it seems that it might be better than Beyond Greens.
However, Beyond Greens offers different ingredients that might bring health benefits to some people. It is also cheaper than Athletic Greens, making it a better option for those on a tight budget.
What greens are as good as Athletic Greens?
Supergreen Tonik is another top quality green powder supplement. It has 38 ingredients where you get different vegetables, adaptogens, nootropics, and immune-boosting ingredients. Unlike Athletic Greens, it offers a fully transparent label with clinically proven doses. Also, you get a 365 money-back guarantee.
How does Athletic Greens compare to other greens?
Athletic Greens is one of the top-rated green powder supplements on the market. It has 75 ingredients, including vegetables, fruits, adaptogens, herbs, spices, and probiotics to help improve health.
It has several certifications which back up the quality of the supplement. Overall, you’ll find Athletic Greens among the top greens.
Is Athletic Greens the best option?
Athletic Greens is one of the best green powder supplements. Other good options include Supergreen Tonik and Primal Greens.
Is Athletic Greens worth it?
Yes, if you want to boost your nutrient intake, Athletic Greens is worth adding to help improve health. However, remember that green powder supplements won’t replace fresh fruits and vegetables.
More Product Reviews: