When it comes to treadmills there is a vast variety of features, functions, power and of course price tags. Whether you are building a home gym, training to take on a marathon or just have a love for running a solid treadmill is the answer.
Finding an appropriate treadmill if you are taller can be difficult, but not to worry we have you covered! These are the best treadmills for tall runners.
1. Nordic Track C 990 Treadmill
Amazon Best Seller ranking 34 in treadmills, most affordable
If you are looking for a quality treadmill that doesn’t break the bank, the Nordic Track C 990 Treadmill is a great buy for an amazing running experience.
With a belt of 60 inches long and 20 inches wide it is perfect for most, including those tall runners! Fitted with a variety of high tech features your running experience has just improved.
The belt is designed specifically with the user in mind by reduced noise and friction for a quieter work out.
Bonus – the belt is stretch resistant and designed to stay in the center of the deck so you won’t have to worry about any mishaps and you can be certain that it is going to last you a long time.
Featuring a 7 inch touch screen that connects to Wifi you can run and catch up on your favorite show, pretend you’re running outside with access to Google Maps or keep an eye on the metrics of your workout.
The Nordic Track treadmill has practically everything you could possibly want with a fan to cool you down when you work up a sweat, a tablet shelf, a port for your music player, a tray for your smartphone and of course a water bottle holder.
One of the best things that makes this treadmill stand out is the variety of pre-set workouts that are available from the iFit Library.
Unfortunately, there is always the flip side of the coin and some who have purchased this treadmill have had issues with longevity and customer service.
However, there is a lifetime warranty on the frame and motor, a 3 year warranty for parts and a 1 year labor warranty.
Delivered straight to your home and it is worth paying a little extra to get the experienced techs to put it all together for you.
- Pre-set workouts.
- Good belt size and 3.0 horsepower motor.
- Relatively affordable.
- Longevity is sometimes questionable.
- Problems with good customer service.
- Little interaction available if you don’t purchase iFit membership.
- Product Dimensions: 83 x 14 x 30 inches
- Product Weight: 215 pounds
- Motor: 3.0 Horsepower
- Belt Length: 60 inches
- Belt Width: 20 inches
- Incline/Decline: 0-12%
- Max Speed: 12mph
2. 3G Cardio Elite Runner Treadmill
Best High-End Treadmill, Amazon Best Seller 181 Ranking In Treadmills
If you are after something a little more high-end the 3G Cardio Elite Runner is an option for you. It runs quieter than most and performs excellently.
An incredibly sturdy design that consists of thick, steel tubing frame you can be sure that this is going to last. Made for taller and heavy runners you are looking at a price tag of over $3,000 but it is worth the investment for such quality.
This treadmills has an Ortho Flex Shock suspension system which minimizes the stress on your joints when you are looking for a tough workout. With a platform that is 62 inches long and 22 inches wide it is perfect for running.
The on-board computer system has a variety of pre-programmed workouts and a fitness level test that you can take advantage of.
With the ability to adjust speed and elevation, as well as heart rate control you can customize your workout to suit you perfectly.
The only real downside of this treadmill purely comes down to how big and heavy it is. Weighing in at over 400 pounds it can be a workout in itself moving this baby.
Also, the price tag on this is really only for serious runners who want something that is going to last.
With a 10 year warranty and two years of in home repairs this treadmill is a favorite compared to the high quality treadmills available in professional gyms.
- Strong and durable.
- Quieter than other treadmills.
- Larger motor that compares to gym treadmills.
- Heavy equipment.
- Higher price point.
- Product Dimensions: 84 x 35.5 x 58 inches
- Product Weight: 386 pounds
- Motor: 4.0 HorsepowerBelt
- Length: 62 inches
- Belt Width: 22 inchesIncline/Decline: 0-15%
- Max Speed: 12mph
Amazon Choice Badge
The ProForm Pro 2000 Treadmill is perfect for a runner looking for something that is good for all round training. This treadmill is reasonably priced and offers some great features for all users.
With a 3.5 horsepower motor you can be certain that it is going to stand up to daily use, accompanied with a deck that is 60 inches long and 22 inches wide it is perfect for tall runners.
Made for tall runners and heavy runners this treadmill features a ProShox cushioning which minimizes impact on joints to ensure you don’t get injured during training.
You also have the ability to customize your workout as the treadmill is able to reach a 15% incline and a 3% decline – this is perfect for simulating hills so you can get great training no matter what you are preparing for.
With a number of techy features from a 7 inch screen that is compatible with iFit workouts to a music port for iPods and many workout apps you can be certain that you are getting value for your money.
Unfortunately, the only downside to this piece of equipment comes down to the customer service if you have a problem with the unit after purchase.
This is a good option for the price and works well for regular training as well as interval training.
- Incline and decline settings.
- Good interval training features.
- Not as heavy as other treadmills.
- Poor customer service.
- Product Dimensions: 80 x 40 x 63 inches
- Product Weight: 230 pounds
- Motor: 3.5 Horsepower
- Belt Length: 60 inches
- Belt Width: 22 inchesIncline/Decline: -3 -15%
- Max Speed: 12mph
Best treadmill for serious runners that want something different
If you are looking for something a little different in terms of treadmills the Assault Fitness AirRunner is the option for you. Instead of having preset speeds and resistance settings, the AirRunner is powered by your feet.
The effort and work you put in sets the pace of your workout.
You are free to run as fast or as slow as you like, you just have to keep the belt moving forward.
Perfect for mimicking a more natural stride and pace that you are use to, so you can improve your real world running form.
Designed to better simulate real world running and keeps you from forming an artificial stride.
As the 62 inch belt is curved the movement pattern and contour can be more challenging than a standard belt. Assault claims that you will burn 30% more calories which is perfect if you are looking at burning some fat or getting in shape for your next marathon.
It is rated to last 150,000 running miles in a commercial setting, so you can be certain that this is going to last you a long time.
The treadmill has a simple on-board computer that allows you to track your calories as well as the distance that you have covered. This is powered by 4 AA batteries, a set is included but they will need replacing eventually.
Unfortunately, due it it being self powered it can take a little getting use to to start the momentum of your run.
It is pricy for what it is, however the price point is worth it if you are looking for high intensity, in the comfort of your own home.
If you are just after a traditional experience or something a little less costly, you will be better off with one of the other options.
Perfect for HIIT, marathon training and more this treadmill is a one stop shop for a variety of needs.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Prevents an artificial stride.
- Great for full control of your pace.
- Requires 4 AA batteries.
- Can be difficult to start momentum.
- Different to traditional treadmill belts and may require some getting use to.
- Product Dimensions: 69.7 x 33.1 x 64.2 inches
- Product Weight: 280 pounds
- Motor: N/A
- Belt Length: 62 inches
- Belt Width: 22 inchesIncline/Decline: N/A
- Max Speed: N/A
Buying A Treadmill Basics
When it comes to purchasing a treadmill there are a few things you need to consider. This should include things such as:
- Variety of pre-programmed workout – There is often a variety to assist you in weight loss, cardiovascular performance, hill training or speed and endurance. You can set the length of your workout time and the treadmill will automatically change inclines, declines and speeds for the selected workout.
- Motor – You will need a motor that is at least 2.0 horsepower especially if you are a runner. You may need something larger depending on your training and intensity requirements.
- Inclines/Declines – If you are training or just after additional calorie burning you need a treadmill that offers an incline at least. Most treadmills will offer you a 12% incline and some even a 3% decline to simulate hills more effectively.
- Length – For a runner you need a treadmill belt of at least 55-60 inches, if you are a tall runner you need a belt that it 60+ inches to accomodate for your strides.
- Width – As a runner you need a belt bed that is 20-22 inches wide to accommodate for an accidental misstep to avoid injury.
- Speed – If you are after a heavy duty, interval workout you are going to need a treadmill that reaches speed over 10mph.
- Price Tag – Be prepared as a longer belt does seem to come with a higher price tag, but you can’t skimp on the expense. A one time buy of a better constructed and more durable treadmill is a much better investment.
Overall, these treadmills are the best for tall runners. If you are on a tighter budget the Nordic Track C 990 is going to be your best option and overall, is a favorite among many.
The 3G Cardio Elite is a great buy for those wanting something a little more high-end. If you need to prepare for marathon that has a lot of hills the ProForm Pro 2000 is your go to with the option of decline setting.
Lastly, for those environmentally friendly tall runners that want something a little different the Assault AirRunner is a great pick for you. Invest in a treadmill that suits your needs and remember to keep on running.
Ricky is the Founder of Exercise With Style with over 10 years of healthy lifestyle experience. He dedicated a website with the best information on health, fitness, weight-loss, muscle growth and product reviews. Rick is always looking for expert contributors to better serve his loyal readers.